Acne is a common skin issue affecting teenagers and young adults. It happens due to excess sebum production leading to the pores of the skin being filled with oil, dead skin cells, or bacteria. Usually, this condition can be treated and managed using prescription topical ointments, creams, etc. Besides, it has been found from studies that avoiding the consumption of food that has high amounts of saturated fats can help with managing this condition. In this article, we will discuss in detail how a plant-forward diet can clear acne and brighten your skin.
The Plant-Based Diet
By following a plant-based diet, you focus on eating more plant-based food and fewer amounts of animal-based food. This can help with skin health as most plant foods have lower amounts of saturated fats and are rich in nutrients that promote skin regeneration.
Plant-Based Food And Skin Health
Studies suggest that switching to a plant-based diet can help with healing acne. Remember that nutrition plays a key role in the well-being of your skin. For example, eating food that has high amounts of saturated fats can increase sebum production. Also, intake of animal fats and refined oils has been linked to poor blood circulation, and this can make the skin more susceptible to acne.
Antioxidants For The Skin
Plant-based food is rich in antioxidants, which help the skin to heal. Listed below are whole foods that are rich in this nutrient:
- Blueberries: These berries are rich in anthocyanin that gives them a deep-blue color; it is a flavonoid that has antioxidant properties. Besides, blueberries are rich in vitamin C; it is an antioxidant that helps with the synthesis of collagen in the skin.
- Cranberries: They are rich in vitamins A and C that helps to boost collagen production of the skin. Also, they are good sources of antioxidants that promote skin health.
- Goji Berries: These berries are considered superfoods because they are rich in vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals.
- Artichokes: They are rich in antioxidants and polyphenols and also have good amounts of vitamin C.
- Pecans: This is a tree nut that is an excellent source of antioxidants.
- Cilantro: It is an herb that has anti-inflammatory phytochemicals that help with combating skin irritation.
- Kidney Beans: It is rich in zinc that can help with repairing damaged skin.
Including these antioxidant-rich foods in your plant-based meal can help you with clearing and managing acne, and we hope that the aforementioned details were useful for you.