According to many people who switch to a plant-based diet, one of the difficult tasks is giving up on dairy products. This is because, it is used for preparing different types of foods, as well as used in beverages like tea and coffee. Due to this, there is a rising demand for plant-based milk, and there are different options available. Unlike cow milk, you can also make vegan milk at home. In this article, we will introduce some recipes for making different vegan milk, read on to know more.
Soy milk is one of the most popular and widely used plant-based milk as it is an ideal substitute for cow milk. It is used in coffee shops, restaurants, readily available in supermarket shelves, and grocery shops. Follow the steps listed below to make it at home.
- Soak a cup of soybeans in water overnight.
- Thoroughly drain and rinse the soaked soybeans.
- Blend the soaked soybeans with 1.5 cups of water in a high-speed blender. Ensure that it is blended smooth.
- The smoothly blended soybean is strained through cheesecloth to extract the soy milk.
Coconut milk is an ingredient used in different types of foods world over because of its flavor, and creamy texture. Hence, it is also one of the most important ingredients in plant-based food preparation. Listed below are the steps to make it at home.
- Soak grated coconut in hot water.
- Skim off the coconut cream that rises to the top.
- The soaked coconut flesh is placed in a highspeed blender with 1 cup of water and slightly blended.
- The blended coconut is strained through cheesecloth to extract coconut milk. This is repeated several times and the milk becomes thinner each time.
You can also make coconut milk by an alternative method and the steps are listed below.
- Soak a cup of chopped coconut overnight in water.
- The soaked coconut is thoroughly drained and rinsed.
- Blend the drained coconut chips with 2 cups of water in a high-speed blender till smooth.
- The blended coconut is strained through cheesecloth to extract the coconut milk.
The advantage of this method is that you get more coconut milk compared to the previous method.
Almond milk is popular plant-based milk because it is rich in proteins. Besides, it has flavor and texture like cow milk. Listed below are steps to make almond milk at home.
- Soak a cup of raw almonds overnight.
- Thoroughly drain and rinse the soaked almonds.
- Blend the soaked almond along with 1.5 cups of water in a highspeed blender till smooth.
- Strain the blended almonds in cheesecloth to extract almond milk.
We hope that the recipes shared above will help you with preparing healthy plant-based milk at home.